Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
View All Calendars is the default. Choose Select a Calendar to view a specific calendar. Subscribe to calendar notifications by clicking on the Notify Me® button, and you will automatically be alerted about the latest events in our community.
Town of Massena
(Proposed) Local Law No. __ of the year 2021
WHEREAS, the Town Board of the Town of Massena (the “Town”) desires to enact a Moratorium on all cryptocurrency mining operations (as defined herein) operating within the Town;
WHEREAS, the Town Board intends to enact comprehensive regulations regarding cryptocurrency mining operations in the Town;
WHEREAS, the Town Board believes that such a moratorium will protect the public interest and welfare of the residents of the Town until such comprehensive regulations are adopted; and
WHEREAS, there are currently no regulations relating to cryptocurrency mining operations within the Town, but the Town Board believes that such regulations can be duly considered and adopted within six (6) months of the date hereof;
NOW, THERFORE, BE IT ENACTED AS FOLLOWS:
1. There is hereby placed a moratorium on all cryptocurrency mining operations in the Town of Massena, County of St. Lawrence, and State of New York.
2. Cryptocurrency mining is defined herein as the commercial process by which cryptocurrency transactions are verified and added to the public ledger, known as the block chain, and also the means through which new units of cryptocurrencies are released, through the use of server farms employing data processing equipment. For purposes of this section any equipment which requires a high density load service or any server farm will constitute a cryptocurrency mining operation. High density load service herein shall be the same as set forth in the tariff of the Town of Massena Electric Department. Server farm, as used herein, shall be three or more interconnected computers housed together in a single facility whose primary function is to perform cryptocurrency mining or associated data processing.
3. This moratorium shall expire on the 30th day of November, 2021.
4. This local law shall take effect upon filing with the Town Clerk of the Town, and upon filing the same with the Secretary of State of the State of New York.
5. The above local law was enacted by the Town Board of the Town on the ____st day of August, 2021.
Jeannine Brouse, Clerk, Town of Massena