Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan
We need your feedback on proposed projects at Massena’s waterfront! Massena is currently undertaking an update to its Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan (LWRP) focused on the Grasse River waterfront and has developed fifteen (15) proposed project ideas.
The link below will take you to the Massena LWRP Project Webpage. While there, you can access the list of proposed project ideas and slide presentation from the October 5, 2022 Public Workshop before offering feedback on a Project-Specific Comments Tool and Resource Allocation Budgeting Tool. These tools will help us refine (and expand) project descriptions as well as prioritize what projects are of greatest importance to the community.
The Village of Massena Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan (LWRP), or “Plan” is a critical component of the Village’s revitalization efforts as it transitions from an industrial-based economy to a diversified one built for the 21st century. With the waterfronts on the Grasse River, Raquette River, and Massena Power Canal, environmental and development concerns along these watercourses will significantly impact the Village’s future. Further, the Plan will develop waterfront recreation, flood resiliency, and ecologically beneficial project recommendations that are attuned to the needs of current and future Village residents.
The intent of this project is to provide a strategic plan for enhancements to the Village’s riverfronts for improved visual and recreational access, downtown and neighborhood revitalization, and unique and appropriate new development. The Plan will focus on four key opportunity areas including:
• Enhancing physical and visual public waterfront access opportunities
• Revitalizing commercial and mixed-use areas
• Protecting community character
• Improving the ability of the community to take advantage of scenic resource-related tourism.
The Village retained Barton & Loguidice, DPC as its planning consultant to assist and guide the planning process. B&L is currently assisting the Village by building on these themes to prioritize community development projects. The projects will establish a complete strategic plan for accessibility enhancements to the Grasse Riverfront, downtown and neighborhood revitalization, and unique and appropriate new development. At its conclusion, not only will the Village have a community vision and goals with which to draw policy change and capital budget planning from, but will also be eligible for funding from NYSDOS to implement recommended actions from the plan.
MASSENA LWRP Committee
Monique Chatland - Village Clerk / Administrator
Robert Murphy, Jr., AICP - Community Planner
Daniel Theobald, AICP - Community Planner
John Condino, PE - Sr. Manager
Aubertine & Currier
Rob Aiken - Landscape & Structural Design Project Manager
NYS Department Of State
Katherine Black - Coastal Services Specialist
- Massena (V) LWRP PIM #1 Summary Notes FINAL - 04222021 (ID 2444825).pdf
- Massena LWRP Kick-Off Meeting Agenda (ID 2120752)
- Massena LWRP Kick-Off Meeting Summary - rev_10272020 (ID 2170179)
- Massena LWRP Project Schedule Graphic (ID 2242904)
- Massena_LWRP_KickOff Slides_Optimized (ID 2242999)
- Press Release---Public Information Meeting 1
- (V) Massena - Cmt6 Presentation - 06.01.2022 (ID 2712570)
- Massena (V) Committee Meeting 6 DRAFT Summary Notes (ID 2689348)