Wastewater Treatment Plant

  1. Notice of Public Hearing

    The Town of Massena will hold a Public Hearing on Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 4:30 PM in the Massena Town Hall Read on...
  2. Massena Town Board Announcement

    The Massena Town Board has rescheduled the start time to the July 21, August 18, and September 15, 2021 Regular Meetings to 4:30 PM. Read on...
View All
The Village’s Wastewater Treatment Plant is located at 302 East Orvis Street. The recently upgraded facility is able to treat 7 million gallons of sanitary wastewater per day and additionally, up to 3 1/2 million gallons per day of stormwater.

Originally built in 1959, the primary treatment plant was upgraded in 1980 and completely refurbished in 2000. The new secondary treatment plant processes include preliminary screening, grit removal, activated biosolids treatment utilizing contact-stabilization, final clarification and ultraviolet disinfection. Biosolids are sent to a gravity belt thickener, anaerobic digestion, belt filter pressed and transported to a nearby composting facility for environmentally friendly reuse. Additionally, snowmelt and stormwater flows are provided primary treatment including settling and chlorination / dechlorination before combining with treated plant effluent, which is discharged to the Grasse River.

Wastewater (sewage) is 99.9% water. The remaining 0.1% is made up of dissolved and suspended solids. Sanitary wastewater comes from sinks, toilets, showers and other discharges.

Treatment Is Necessary

Years ago, wastewater was dumped, without treatment, into rivers and streams; there was enough dilution water to let nature absorb the waste material. As communities grew, and industries sprang up, the concentrations and types of wastes increased to a point where the natural ability of waterways to clean themselves became overloaded. Also, many serious outbreaks of communicable diseases have been traced to contamination of drinking water from untreated wastewater discharges. A modern wastewater treatment plant gives nature a helping hand at the purification process and helps to protect downstream users from disease.

Contact Us

  1. Village of Massena Department of Public Works


    85 Robinson Road
    Massena, NY 13662

    Phone: 315-769-6823
    Fax: 315-769-5463

    Staff Directory

    Office Hours of Operation
    Monday - Friday
    7:00am - 3:00pm
    Closed for Lunch from Noon - 1:00pm