- Our Services
- Fire Department
- Recreational Fires/Open Burns
Recreational Fires/Open Burning Regulations
In April 2019 the Village and Town Boards approved recreational fires in our community. The rules for both municipalities are the same and are as follows:
1. Recreational fires must take place within a container designed for burning combustibles.
2. The approved container must have a spark arresting screen.
2. The fire must be positioned on a non combustible surface.
3. The fire must be more than 15 feet from a building, structure, driveway, or property line.
4. The fuel for the fire must ONLY be seasoned wood(not freshly cut or treated wood).
5. The fuel area shall be less than three feet in diameter, and less than two feet in height.
6. Fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.
7. At least one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating must be on hand for immediate utilization. Other locally approved extinguishing methods such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose, or fire truck may be used in place of a fire extinguisher.
A recreational fire that is hazardous, offensive, objectionable, or unreasonably interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property of others due to smoke, odor, or other emissions shall be prohibited. The Code Officer, Fire Chief, Police Chief, or their designee is authorized to order the extinguishment of a recreational fire which creates or adds to a hazardous, offensive, or objectionable condition.
If you have questions regarding recreational fires, or would like your fire pit inspected, feel free to contact the Massena Fire Department at 315-769-2380.
*Please note DEC burn bans typically run from Mid-March - Mid-May and must be followed*
Open burning is prohibited in the Village and Town of Massena. Listed below are the rules governing open burning for both municipalities. Please note that open burning is allowed in the Town of Massena in certain instances, only by permit, issued by the municipality and a code enforcement officer.
For information about open burning regulations from New York State FOLLOW THIS LINK.
These rules are re-printed directly from the Village and Town of Massena code books.
Village of Massena - ß 162.2 Open Burning
A.) Burning of certain items prohibited. No person shall burn, allow or permit to be burned any brush, lumber, paper products, plastics, chemicals, trash, garbage, rubbish, wood or other related items in the Village of Massena.
B. Indoor fireplaces, woodstoves and outdoor grills. Nothing contained herein, however, shall prevent the operation of properly installed and maintained indoor fireplaces, hearths, woodstoves or outdoor grills or fireplaces for the preparation of food.
C. Burning by authorized government agencies. Government agents may be authorized to burn structures, lumber, brush or other items, provided that approval is granted by the Code Enforcement Office, including that additional permits required by the Health Department or the New York Department of Environmental Conservation are obtained and complied with.
D. The use of outside furnaces is prohibited within the limits of the Village of Massena. An "outside furnace" is defined as any wood-burning device, designed and intended for installation outside of the primary building on a lot and used to produce heat for transfer to the primary or an accessory building on such lot. [Added 12-6-2005 by L.L. No. 3-2005; 11-21-2017 by L.L. No. 3-2017]
E. Exceptions. Liquid propane and natural gas fire pits shall be permitted in the Village for residential use only.
(1) All propane and/or gas fire pits shall:
(a) Be installed to manufacturer specifications.
(b) Meet all state and international building and fire codes.
(c) Be safety certified for the use in the United States (d) Not be operated closer than 10 feet from any structure of flammable material.
(e) Be placed on a noncombustible surface.
(f) Not have any gasoline or other flammable liquids or vapors stored within 25 feet of a fire pit.
(2) Any permanently installed gas fire pits will require a building permit for installation.
Village of Massena - ß 162.2 Open Burning
ß 112-1. Burning of Certain Items Prohibited
No person shall burn, allow or permit to be burned and brush, lumber, paper products, plastics, tires, chemicals, trash, garbage, wood or other related items in the Town of Massena.
ß 112-2. Indoor Fireplaces, Wood stoves and Outdoor Grills
Nothing contained herein, however, shall prevent the operation of properly installed and maintained indoor fireplaces, hearths, wood stoves or outdoor grills or fireplaces for the preparation of food.
ß 112-3. Burning by Authorized Government Agencies
The Town Board may authorize government agents to burn structures, lumber, brush or other items, provided that all permits required by the Code Enforcement Office, including any additional permits required by the Health Department or the New York Department of Environmental Conservation, are obtained and complied with.
ß 112-4. Burning of Brush On Private Property
- Residents of the town of Massena may apply to the Code Enforcement Officer for a permit to burn brush on their property. (Applications available in the Town Clerk’s office.)
- The permit application must state with specificity:
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of all the property owners
- The location where the burning shall take place
- The date and time when the burning shall take place
- The materials to be burned
- Upon issuance of the permit and prior to burning, the resident shall notify the Massena Volunteer Fire Department of the location, time and area of the permitted burning.
- The permit shall expire at sunset of the day the permit authorizes burning to take place, and any other or different burning by the resident shall require a separate application and permit.
- In the event that inclement weather prevents the resident from conducting the burning, the resident shall notify the Code Enforcement Officer and the Massena Volunteer Fire Department of the alternate burning day.
ß 112-4. Permit Fees
Permit fees are to be set by the Town Board, Town of Massena, payable to the Town Clerk, once the permit is approved by the Code Enforcement Office.
Village of Massena Building Department
Town Hall Building
60 Main Street
Massena, NY 13662
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - noon,
1 - 4:30 p.m.
Massena Fire Department
34 Andrews Street
Massena, NY 13662
Contact Chief - Email
Code Enforcement - Email
For fire prevention details or station tours
Emergency Phone: 911