The Massena Town Clerk is an elected position and is responsible under State Law for maintaining the custody of all public records for the Town. On behalf of the State and the Town, she is also responsible for maintaining other legal documents such as manuscripts, books, and minutes of board meetings. The Town Clerk is also appointed as the Registrar of Vital Statistics for both the Town & Village of Massena.
Licenses & PermitsThe Clerk issues various licenses and permits:
- building/demo/variance requests
- certificate of occupancy
- games of chance
- going out of business
- marriage licenses
You can obtain Vital Records (birth, death, marriage) for individuals who were (born/died or purchased a marriage license in Massena). You can request them in person, by visiting the Town Clerk's office; or, by mailing your request to the Clerk with the necessary documents and payment. We offer an online service for ordering documents through VitalChek
Because birth certificates and other vital records are sensitive documents, most government agencies will restrict who can request certified copies. As a result, certified copies of vital record certificates are only available to the specified individual or their immediate family members.
In order to obtain a certified copy of any vital record, you will need:
- valid photo identification
- the complete name that would have appeared on the requested vital record
- pertinent dates (birth, death, marriage)
- reason for the request
- your name
There is a fee of $10 (payable to Massena Town Clerk) if the request is made in person.
Order a Record Online
To order your Vital Record online, we recommend using VitalChek. VitalChek.com is a fast and convenient way to complete the required documentation needed to obtain a certified government-issued vital records - usually taking less than 10 minutes. Visit VitalChek.com and follow the prompts to provide the required answers and place your order. VitalChek.com charges $16 to have the document sent to you by regular mail or $33 for next business day delivery.
Order a Record by Mail
Requests for Birth, Death, or Marriage certificates may be sent through the mail. You will be required to pay $10 for each record. Requests must include the following information:
- The name of the individual(s) who's certificate you are requesting.
- The date of the event of birth/death/marriage.
- Names of the individual's parents (including mother's maiden name).
- The reason you are requesting the document. You must state your relationship to the individual.
- A mailing address to send the certified copy of the certificate. Include your telephone number in case we have additional questions.
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Certified bank check or money order, payable to Massena Town Clerk.
Mail to: Massena Town Clerk, 60 Main St. - Room 3, Massena, NY 13662
The Town Clerk also helps in the coordination of all Primary and General Elections.